iPod nano (1G)
From Mac Guides
Configurations and Price Points
- 1GB, Black or White, $149 USD,
- 2GB, Black or White, $199 USD,
- 4GB, Black or White, $249 USD,
The iPod nano was Apple's first flash-based iPod with a screen, which means no moving parts and therefore skip-free playback. It also was the first iPod to come in black (the U2 iPod came in a black and red finish). Also, it was the first iPod priced below $299 USD to feature a colour screen and the ability to view photographs. Finally, it was the first iPod to ship with Apple's own ClickWheel, rather than the third party ones on the 4G iPod.
The iPod nano is incredibly thin - About the thickness of three credit cards or a number two pencil, and roughly the weight of ten quarters. It is exactly the same length as a business or credit card but not as wide. The iPod nano was also the first iPod to have screen locking and stopwatch software built in.
While the iPod nano (1G) featured many improvements over the iPod mini, it lacked some of the iPod mini's features: the iPod mini hardly scratched, and the battery life was less than that offered by the mini. Later revisions of the nano rectified these problems.
Reports of the LCD color screen cracking or breaking have occured, as well as the screen scratching so much that it allegedly renders it useless. Arguably, the issue stems from the extra glossy finish, remniscent in design (but not materials) of the 1st and 2nd generation iPods. Polycarbonate, which encases the nano, has been employed since at least the 4G iPod, with the distinction being the introduction of a glossy, clear layer to produce the brilliant mirror finish of the iPod nano. The cracked screen issue was voluntarily resolved by Apple, offering replacements for all affected customers, which it estimated to be approximately 0.1% of customers.
Key Technical Information
- CPU Type: PP5021C
- CPU Speed: 2 x 80 MHz
- ROM: 4 MB
- RAM: 32 MB
- Display: 1.5" Backlit LCD
- Resolution: 16 bit color at 176x132 pixels
- Video Out: N/A
- Storage: 1/2/4 GB Flash Memory
- Connectivity: USB via Dock Connector
- Dimensions: 3.5" H x 1.6" W x 0.27" D
- Weight: 1.5 ounces.
- iPod (with plastic cellophane wrap. Some people use this as a temporary case before purchasing a hard cover.)
- Instruction and CD pack. Includes iTunes for Mac/PC and Windows drivers.
- Dock adapter. Allows it to be used with the Apple Universal Dock for iPods.
- Standard Apple Earphones and two sets of foam covers.
- USB cable. Used to transfer music from computer to iPod and charge its battery.
- This iPod does NOT come with a mains charger.
- Later models also included a soft padded case to protect the iPod nano from scratches and breakage.
|Other iPod models|
iPod (1G) | iPod (2G) | iPod (3G) | iPod (4G Monochrome) | iPod (4G Color) | iPod (5G) | iPod classic