Transferring old user files
From Mac Guides
This guide explains how to transfer files from an old user account to a new one.
- Create the new user in the Accounts pane of System Preferences. To do this, click the padlock in the bottom left corner and enter your password. Then click the + button and fill out the information for the new user. Be sure to give them administrator privileges.
- Log out then log in as the new User.
- Open the Accounts pane of System Preferences again. Click the padlock in the bottom left corner and enter your password, then choose the user who has the files you need to transfer and press the - button to delete them. A dialog will appear asking if you'd like to keep all files stored in this users account. Be sure to choose to do so (ie click OK).
- In Finder, go to /Users/Deleted Users/ and mount the dmg or sparseimage file corresponding to the user you just deleted.
- Open each folder in the mounted image and copy the files you need from there to the new account. If you have created any files in your new account you should not copy the folders themselves as this may delete them. You can copy the Library folder contents straight over into the new Library folder if you wish to retain all old settings.
- Log out then log back in as the new user.