Steaming Your Mac
From Mac Guides
Steaming Your Mac
How to Install Steam On Your Mac, Steam Performance Issues, Anything Steam Related
- 27Oct2013- Added blurb on how to find your invisible Library folder, made invisible under MacOS7 and newer.
- 22Apr12- Added link on running Steam in Offline Mode.
- 28Nov11- Added Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines guidance for running under Steam/Bootcamp/Windows 7 then removed it and placed it under Windows Gaming On A Mac FAQ here at MacRumors.
Wow, what a short guide! I created it because I realize there many Steam related issues in the MacRumor Mac & PC Game Forums, first and foremost is how to get Steam game content out of your home drive and onto a separate partition or external hard drive. If you took a peak at the MacRumors Guide Directory you'd probably never see the Symbolic Link Guide buried in there somewhere. This was my primary motivator to establish this guide.
So feel free to add any Steam related content your heart desires and if you would like me to add any Steam related info, feel free to send me, Huntn, a Private Message. In the mean time...
Misc Steam Links
- Steam in Offline Mode (added 22Apr12)
- For Moving a Windows Steam Installation (that's Windows not Mac) see the MacRumors Windows Gaming on a Mac Guide Part 1- Under the Specific Game Help Section, look for "Steam".
- Steam download link. Download starts immediately: http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam.dmg- Also, there is an "Install Steam Now" link at Store.Steampowered.com. (right side of page)
- Source Finagler- a 3rd party app by Mark Douma that will assist you in moving your Steam game content (the SteamApps folder) out of your Steam folder and on to an external drive or a different partition without having to use the Terminal. Separate Link.
- How to Install Steam.- Steampowered.com link.
- How to Uninstall Steam.- Steampowered.com link.
- A Brief Tutorial on Symbolic Links- MacOSXHints.com.
- Create Symbolic Link 1.1- Apple.com.
- Aliases vs Symbolic Links- Developer.Apple.com.
Installing Steam on Your Mac
- Install Mac Steam. This link will immediately download Mac Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam.dmg. If the link expires go to Store.Steampowered.com and locate the "Install Steam Now" link on the right side of the page. The default install location is to place Steam in your Applications folder. However, you can put it anywhere you want. When using my MacBookPro, I placed Mac Steam on my external drive. So I downloaded Mac Steam, opened the .dmg file and installed it there by simply dragging the Steam application from the .dmg file to the desired location.
- Launch Steam. Establish a Steam account if you have not done so all ready. By default it is going to automatically install the SteamApps folder in your Library>Application Support>Steam Folder. If you have a teeny weenie hard drive and need to move Steam Game content out of your home drive/partition, see the next section.
- Having Trouble Finding Your Mac's Library Folder? "Library" used to be located in the User's folder but as of MacOS7 and newer, it is now invisible. You can either unhide it or find it by typing "Library" in the Help window and that should make it temporarily appear as a selection in the "Go" menu.
Moving Steam Content
- For Moving Steam Game Content: Symbolic Link (Moving Steam Content) MacRumors Guide.
Specific Game Help
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
- The game will not run under Mac Steam. For information on running this game under Bootcamp/Windows/Steam see Windows Gaming On A Mac FAQ and look for the Specific Game Help Section of that guide.