Pairing AppleTV and Harmony Remote
From Mac Guides
- This article or section is based on a forum post written by MobyIck.
This is a step-by-step by guide for setting up a Logitech Harmony 676 remote control to work with the Apple TV. These steps have been proven to work with several other models of Harmony remotes as well.
Adding the device
- In your Harmony Remote Software, click "Add Device".
- Click "Computer", then "Next" and then "Next" again.
- Select "Apple", and then "Next".
- Type in EXACTLY "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo", and then click "Next".
- Check "Do not have a remote" and hit "Next" again.
- All info should be correct, so click "Next".
Main screen window
- Click on the settings button for "Computer".
- Click adjust delays.
- Change delays to 100 ms and then click "Done".
The activity setup is now completed. If you want to be fancy, you can rename it "Apple TV".
- Click on "Add new activity".
- Manually add.
- Click "Utility", and then click "Next".
- Select "Generic Activity", and then click "Next".
- Add or Remove all the devices you do or do not need. Make sure to leave your TV, computer/AppleTV, amplifier or any other devices you use while the AppleTV is displaying, then hit "Save".
- Select TV input and then click "Next".
- Click "Next" again. (Nothing to set here.)
- Select audio input and then click "Next".
- Click "Next", "Next" again, then "Done".
Rename your activity from custom to "AppleTV" or something similar.
Assigning the correct AppleTV buttons to the remote
- Click "Customize Buttons" for the AppleTV activity.
- Select the "AppleTV" for the device, and the appropriate commands. You can also set Menu, A, B and the Guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so that hitting any of them will take you backwards. Set your Volume Up, Mute and Volume Down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. You can also set your left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as it's not always clear if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse for multiple functions.
- Click "Done".
Final step: Unsync the AppleTV remote and sync the Harmony remote (by clicking the "Play/OK" button) in order for the AppleTV to recognize the Harmony remote.