Installing Applications On The iPhone
From Mac Guides
This guide will be used to guide people on how to install 3rd party applications on the iPhone. MacRumors suggests using Installer.app as a third party application manager on the iPhone if you cannot wait for Apple's planned February 2008 official SDK.
Firmware 1.0 - 1.0.2
Users with iPhone firmware 1.0 through 1.0.2 can use the AppTap Installer (otherwise known as Installer.app) to place your phone into a state where 3rd party applications can installed via EDGE or WiFi.
Installing third party applications on iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 is unfortunately a more complex task at this time than it was with previous iPhone Firmware versions. While Installer.app is still the preferred method of actually installing the applications, it cannot perform an automatic jailbreak. Therefore, the following files (Mac-only) applications are needed.
- iNdependence - For jailbreaking iPhone Firmware 1.1.1
- iJailBreak - For installing the Installer.app executable
- iPhone Firmware 1.0.2 (courtesy of Apple, Inc).
iNdependence's help system provides a thorough walk-through of the steps needed to get iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 jailbroken and Installer.app installed. These steps are highlighted here:
1. Have iNdependence reboot your iPhone into DSW mode (basically, recovery mode).
2. Launch iTunes, and Option-click on the "restore" button. Select the iPhone Firmware 1.0.2 that you downloaded. Note: certain errors will appear during this step, and are normal. See iNdependence documentation for more info
3. Activate phone using iTunes
4. Jailbreak using iNdependence
5. Apply Pre-1.1.1 upgrade linking
6. Launch iTunes, and upgrade your firmware to 1.1.1 Note: beware if you have installed SIM-unlocks
7. Use iNdependence to Activate your iPhone, and jailbreak it again.
8. Use iNdependence to install SSH/SCP Note: change root and mobile passwords
9. Use iNdependence to install Installer.app from iJailBreak download. Install into Users directory on iPhone.