Creating Hidden Folders
From Mac Guides
Finder doesn't directly support hidden folders, however, it is possible to create them.
Creating the folder
Creating folders is accomplished through the Terminal.
- Open Terminal
- Change to the directory where the new folder should be, for example, Documents
- Make the new hidden directory, prefixing the name with a period. In Mac OS X, folders with a period at the start of their name are invisible.
mkdir ".My Hidden Folder"
- Alternatively, you can make an existing folder invisible.
mv "Existing Folder" ".ExistingFolder"
Making an invisible folder visible
Making an invisible folder visible is very similar to making it invisible.
- Open Terminal and change to the directory that the folder is in (as above)
- Remove the period from the folder name
mv ".My Hidden Folder" "My Hidden Folder"
Using the folder
To access the folder, use the Go > Go to Folder command from the Finder.